Environmental Scientist-OHS, Mississauga
ECOH is a highly respected Canadian company specializing in Hazardous Materials, Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Management. ECOH’s culture fosters an environment of both team and individual growth and achievement, embracing entrepreneurial spirit, client focus, accountability, respect, passion, commitment, and appreciation. ECOH’s unique culture has been essential to staff retention and the growth of the company. ECOH’s Leadership Team manages our business through guiding values of integrity, commitment, creativity, and success.
ECOH is currently looking for an Environmental Scientist-OHS to join our team. The Environmental Scientist- OHS will provide occupational hygiene support to a variety of client types. Initially, they will work under the supervision of project managers and senior team members, with the opportunity to rapidly assume increasing autonomy and responsibility. The Environmental Scientist- OHS will help clients maintain workplace health and safety by identifying and evaluating, exposure to chemical, physical, ergonomic, and biological hazards and recommending control measures. The responsibilities of the Environmental Scientist- OHS will vary depending on the industry, workplace, and the types of hazards affecting workers.
Here is what you will be doing:
- Perform mould, IAQ, and infection control investigations and preparing investigation reports.
- Conduct Occupational hygiene surveys including air sampling, noise, legionella assessments, radon surveys, risk assessments etc.
- Conduct interviews with building maintenance staff and others to discuss operation of building HVAC systems, locations of water problems and nature of occupant complaints.
- Observe and investigate work practices and the working environment to determine conformity to good Occupational hygiene practice and legal requirements.
- Schedule inspections and meetings with clients/contractors.
- Supervise asbestos and mould abatement activities or other contractor activities.
- Ensure the well being and safety of workers and building occupants relevant to work for which ECOH is responsible.
- Identify site issues or project concerns and recommend corrective actions.
- Identify hazardous conditions and practices in equipment, systems, products, and facilities.
- Identify and assist in the evaluation of methods to control hazards, such as engineering controls, administrative controls, and protective equipment.
- Examine the probability and severity of accidents and illnesses that may result from hazardous practices and harmful exposure.
- Test and evaluate control systems, for example noise and ventilation systems, as well as personal protective equipment.
- Liaise between clients and contractors.
- Consultation and interpretation of various environmental samples.
- Prepare reports and drawings detailing the findings & make recommendations.
- Participate in the areas of Quality Control, Quality Assurance & Compliance.
- Adhere to the Health and Safety Guidelines and outlined by the company and regulations.
Here are the job requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in occupational health, environmental scientist, chemistry, biology, physics, or a related field is required.
- 2 to 5 years of occupational health and safety or hygiene related experience in a similar position is required.
- Knowledge of occupational hygiene and experience with conducting water damage, asbestos, mould and IAQ assessments considered an asset.
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment, including (if required) respiratory protection devices, specialized clothing, work boots, hard hats, hearing protection, etc.
- Ability to lift boxes or equipment not exceeding 20kg.
- Ability to organize activities and accomplish tasks in assigned time frames.
- Detail oriented with respect to data collection and recording skills.
- Ability to work effectively with project managers, clients and fellow staff, demonstrating strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel out of the city or province for short or long periods, as needed.
- Must demonstrate strong initiative and be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work alone and/or in remote locations as required.
- Valid driver’s license and adequate insurance must be maintained at all times.
- General to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication and critical thinking skills
Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent
ECOH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
For more information on ECOH and its Services please visit https://www.ecoh.ca/
You may submit your resume to email@example.com and include the name of the position in the subject line.
Thank you for your interest in joining ECOH.
75 Courtneypark Drive West, Unit #1, Mississauga, ON L5W 0E3
1 866 231 6855