Operations Manager, Ottawa
ECOH is a highly respected Canadian environmental, health and safety consulting company. ECOH’s culture fosters an environment of both team and individual growth and achievement, embracing entrepreneurial spirit, client focus, accountability, respect, passion, commitment, and appreciation. ECOH’s unique culture has been essential to staff retention and the growth of the company. ECOH’s Leadership Team manages our business through guiding values of integrity, commitment, creativity, and success.
ECOH Management’s Ottawa location is looking for an Operations Manager. Reporting to the General Manager/VP Hazardous Materials, The Operations Manager will have strong business development and client relationship skills to grow the Ottawa office and to bring in new business. The Operations Manager is primarily responsible for providing leadership to a team of assigned Environmental Technologists / Environmental Scientists, Senior Environmental Technologists / Senior Environmental Scientists, Project Managers and Senior Project Managers. This includes oversight of mentoring, developing, training of assigned staff, ensure compliance with Corporate objectives and initiatives. S/he is responsible for ensuring the overall successful management of projects, health & safety, and quality control. The Operations Manager also provides technical and managerial input to company operations and projects and participates in corporate planning and setting of goals, direction, etc.
Here is what you will be doing:
- Work with Senior Project Managers to ensure all project resources meet or exceed established guidelines of performance.
- Provide consistent constructive and meaningful feedback to assigned Senior Project Managers and Implement and initiate the Employee Development Program (EDP) within your groups.
- Communicate with Senior Management/Executives/VP’s to provide information related to assigned staff (progression, issues, developments) and make recommendations pertaining to staffing needs and salary adjustments.
- Oversee the group of assigned staff and delegate responsibilities and provide direction in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Provide mentorship and support to staff insuring they meet or exceed established guidelines of performance; ensure they meet client needs and maintain a positive work life balance.
Marketing Activities and Client Development
- Attend relevant marketing initiatives that are beneficial to the growth and success of the company.
- Have/build a strong client relationship to bring in new business and grow existing business in the Ottawa and surrounding areas.
- Keep/stay connected to developments within the industry to identify new opportunities.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of consulting projects including planning, conducting, supervising, reporting, and reviewing the work of others for consulting projects.
- Manage and occasionally supervise environmental sampling activities at various types of contaminated sites.
- Design programs to meet the scope of work and regulatory requirements.
Project & Financial Management
- Manage and oversee projects to ensure a continuous workflow and timely completion.
- Schedule services, audits and assessments with clients and present results to clients in meetings.
- Issue of amendments and changes pertaining to the scope, schedule, or responsibilities.
- Timely processing and careful review of subcontractor invoices including management of the work in progress to ensure work is billed correctly and timely.
- Ensuring timely and accurate submission of internal reporting documents.
- Overall review of the expenses and time sheets of the employees within your group.
- Ensure effective working capital management of the areas under your control (i.e., maximizing financial return on projects).
- Regular review and analysis of the financial performance of your projects.
- Review and discuss the financial performance of projects and seek explanations on variances.
- Maintain strong profitability in the areas that you control.
- Resolve project issues to ensure that client requirements are met in the most efficient financial manner.
Here are the job requirements:
- A University degree or college diploma in the areas of Environmental Sciences, Hazardous Materials or Occupational Hygiene is required.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a related field is required.
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment, including (if required) respiratory protection, specialized clothing, work boots, hard hats hearing protection, fall arrest, etc.
- Ability to lift boxes, equipment and/or coolers not exceeding 20kg.
- Time and resource management- ability to provide field staff with the appropriate direction, guidance, and instructions.
- Ability to provide feedback to staff consistently, constructively, and appropriately.
- Demonstrates strong support of corporate initiatives and plans.
- Willingness to share technical knowledge and expertise with peers.
- Excellent employee relations- ability to motivate, develop and mentor field staff.
- Ability to work effectively with fellow project managers, senior management, clients, and contractors, demonstrating strong interpersonal skills.
- Sound judgement pertaining to business and project activities.
- Strong budgetary skills exercised for the management of projects and resources.
- Strong written/verbal communications skills- Demonstrates the ability to present technical data effectively to internal staff and clients.
- Ability to travel out of the city or province for extended periods (i.e., several days to weeks at a time).
- Valid driver’s license and adequate insurance must be always maintained.
- General to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, Adobe, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Knowledge and understanding of other technical related software programs (as required).
Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent
ECOH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request. Qualified candidates can submit their resume through this link.
Thank you for your interest in joining ECOH. Only those considered applicants will be contacted.
75 Courtneypark Drive West, Unit #1, Mississauga, ON L5W 0E3
1 866 231 6855